[Hey Nerdlings, this is a media preview for GeekyCon. There are links which connect to GeekyCon and ticket purchasing. The preview is my own opinion.]
GeekyCon starts this Friday at the Orange County Convention Center, and if next week wasn’t one of the most critical of the year, you can bet your sweet Butterbeer that I would be there all weekend long! Previously, I talked about my origins story in the PotterVerse, but GeekyCon extends beyond that as a pure celebration of being a fan. Up until May of this year, I had no clue how many comic and fan conventions truly sweep over Orlando. I am enjoying convention season leaps and bounds more than Hurricane Season, but it does require it’s own form of preparation. I’ve been geeking and nerding out for nearly 30 years, but this weekend, I am going big (or collapsing when I am going home)!
Just for the record, The Harry Potter Alliance does magical and incredible things!
This will be my first GeekyCon and (if the schedule is any indication about the amount of magic and fun I am about to have) I can guarantee that it won’t be my last! My local geek and nerd girl gang will be meeting up with a couple of new additions from out of town! Here’s the low down for this coming weekend’s events!
Quick and Geeky Details
- Dates: 7/29-31/16 (Friday-Sunday)
- Location: Orange County Convention Center
- Schedule (registration opens at 8AM daily)
- Friday 9:30AM-7PM (last sessions start at 6PM)
- Saturday: 9AM-11:59PM* (separate ticket required for book release party)
- Sunday: 9AM-4PM (Closing Ceremony 3PM at Main Stage)
- Production Company: Mischief Management
- Tickets: Customize your experience with multiple levels!
The guest list for GeekyCon is divided into three components, but their roles at the con intertwine with one another! I’ll be the first to admit that I only started getting back into the convention scene earlier this year, after establishing roots here in my hometown of Orlando. After attending MegaCon, I learned how integral and critical Central Florida is in the southeast US with regard to bringing fans together to celebrate.
Media – These folks are putting the social back in social media with actors, podcasts, and digital content creators joining forces to geek out in the best way possible. With YT powerhouses like Tessa Netting and the gang from Pemberly Digital (The Lizzie Bennett Diaries and Emma Approved), as well as folks from the Game of Owns, MuggleCast, and PotterCast podcasts! I’d love to get in and listen to writer Mark Oshiro, linguist David Peterson (no relation), and other TV writers.
Literary – A unique feature of GeekyCon is it’s Young Adult Literary Track (GeekyConLit) which can be optioned as an individual ticket or part of a combination pass. There are so many wonderful panels featuring the authors and providing engaging discussions on topics we deal with in fiction, fantasy and fandom. I managed to snag a advanced reader’s copy of Cheryl B. Klein‘s The Magic Words: Writing Great Books for Children and Young Adults when I attended the ALA Annual Conference, so I am excited for the chance to see her. This goes beyond your average book club!
Music – How can a fan festival not be jam packed with bands playing original music celebrating the beloved fandoms!? With magical names like Harry and the Potters, Tonks and the Aurors, and Draco and the Malfoys, someone whisk me away to the Ministry of Magic now! There are great indie artists like Lauren Fairweather, Tianna and the Cliffhangers, Kirstyn Hippe, and Koo Koo Kanga Roo! I ( hope I am not too old to appreciate all these pop, punk and indie bands!)
Discussions with Substance
I love fluff as much as the next person, but hot damn, there are some conversations a-brewing that I am ready to dive headlong into with others at the con. There is such a wide array of programming that you have to see the schedule to believe it! The descriptions and time/date are from the folks at GeekyCon, but are subject to change.
Friday – I sincerely wish that this wasn’t the last work day prior to one the most critical weeks of my Muggle World day job because there are some hot panels I would love to participate in! (Someone take notes for me, PLEASE!)
- “Avoiding the Manic Pixie Nightmare”
- “Putting Fandom on Your Resume”
- “Engaging in Positive Fandom”
Saturday – My GeekyCon debut! Work burnout and all, I will be there with my friends. I have to remind myself that going to conventions is a marathon not a sprint.
- “How to Become a Fan Activist and Save the World In 50 Easy Minutes”
- “Race in the Wizarding World”
- “Growing Up Geek”
Sunday – Depending on how I fare at the Midnight Release Party, I may or may not be able to handle another full day, despite my love for the Geeky1.
“Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things”
- “Joining the Podcast Resurgence”
- “Game of Thrones: Before Winter Was Coming”
My Action Plan
There are several things I would really love to tackle as I geek out!
- Pemberly Digital Reunion – I was introduced to The Lizzie Bennett Diaries by my dear friend, Christy, and I am hooked on their spin on the world of Jane Austen. After watching the creativity and simplicity of their work, I’ve been inspired to get back into the creative aspects of writing. Currently, I am trying to plow through Emma Approved and Frankenstein, MD before Saturday, so I can have even more reasons to fan girl all over the place.
- Geeky U – As an blogger aspiring to further one’s nerdy social reach, I am particularly interested in having genuine discussions on how I can parlay my nerdy interests and pursuits into something greater and bigger. Often I joke that I want to build my nerdy empire, and I am certain meeting with these folks may help get me on track! I want to learn more about vlogging and podcasting because I think they are mediums I and genuinely fascinated with (provided I can navigate the more technical aspects of audio and video content).
- Game of Owns Podcast Live Recording – Just one more wonderful way I am surviving in the tundra wasteland that is North of the Wall. To ease my suffering, I am stoked to check out some of their panels and discussions to help me cope with intermission between waiting for the release of Winds of Winter (book six) and season seven in summer 2017.
- Harry Potter Alliance – when I attended the American Library Association’s Annual Conference, I happened upon these INCREDIBLE folks in the Exhibit Hall! They stress the importance of using their magical powers for good! There is even a local chapter of S.P.E.W. (Society for the Promotion of Everyone’s Welfare) here in Central Florida. They are also responsible for my awesome Granger/Lovegood 2016 election campaign shirt!
There will be an incredible midnight release party for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, but I don’t know if I’ll have the stamina to go from dawn to dusk. Plus, I have to make sure Zelda doesn’t starve, but we’ll see how long I can frolic in this magical convention where everyone is letting their geek flags fly. From the bottom of my heart, teenage Karen wishes GeekyCon excited in high school because finding peers who understood and appreciated my nerdy pursuits was quite the challenge. Fortunately, even in high school I found my tribe and nearly twenty years later, they are some of my most treasured friends.
With different ticket tiers, GeekyCon truly provides a choose your own adventure. One of the unique dynamics they have in play is a lottery system for autographs. The upswing is that is it means the additional costs of purchasing autographs or photo ops is included in the cost of the ticket. The key point to remember is that it is a lottery system, so one may not get their top choice, but with all the wonderful guests in attendance, I’m certain every ticket will be a winner
Answer Me, These Questions Three
- What is the most difficult challenge you face when expressing your fandom to those who may not quite understand your interests?
- Which component of GeekyCon would you enjoy most?
- Which social media platforms or creative outlets do you frequent to maximize your fan experience?
- Pet Parent responsibilities are part of Nerd Adulting. Zelda